Sunday, November 21, 2010

Disillusionment at Ten O'Clock

Disillusionment at Ten O'Clock is exactly that. It seems like the poet is describing his own chaotic visions at ten o'clock. I don't like this poem at all. I'll just be blunt with it. From my point of view, it seems like the poet just made an organized jumble of ideas that are completely random just to match the idea of "disillusionment." Stevens does use parallel structure in lines 4,5,and 6, and it seems to me like that is the only useful things he does. After staring at this poem from a while, am I missing something? Or is it really that surface-y? Reading it even again makes me feel like this poem is a waste of ink and space. I want it to amaze in some way by showing me some sort of cool meaning or use, but there is nothing that lets me justify that. So I guess what I can milk from this piece is that he wrote this piece to display what his disillusioned vision at ten o'clock was.

1 comment:

  1. It's not my favorite either. Other students have had some interesting observations in their blogs, but it doesn't do much for me either!

    ReplyDelete