Sunday, February 13, 2011

Desert Places

So I'm gonna start out by saying that I really like Robert Frost. Now that is out of the way. The rhyme scheme going into this poem seems to be AABA CCDC and so on. This is actually a fascinating rhyme scheme and I'm wondering why he did use this. Is there a certain significance to the words he didn't rhyme? Ironically, two of those happen to be "snow" and the title is "Desert Places." I just found that interesting.

After giving the poem another read-through, I definitely think Frost is trying to connect a snow to being blankness. It is white, a clean slate, covering everything that was previously there. I think, ironically, these snowy places are his hideaway to be alone, to get away and find a silkscreen to hide from reality. I get the feeling when it snows that it is really peaceful out and when it snows, it closes you in to worry about the world in a twenty foot parameter rather than a several mile one. It gives a cozy feeling, where nothing else matters, and it's like an uplifting clean slate--to nature and to mind. That what I think Frost is trying to describe through his poem here.

1 comment: