Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lost Brother

     This poem seems to be written almost as an obituary would be in my mind. Throughout the poem it is very documentary of  the life of the deceased tree. What made me think of this was when the narrator (another tree) started describing his temperaments and what he sheltered, being his accomplishments, and everything that surrounded him when he was living so stationary (no pun intended).
     I thought that this poem could've very well been a personification of trees into a sensitive human situation, such as the death of a loved one, in order to create an argument for the importance of every living thing, even trees. This poem to me is an environmental argument that essentially tries to personify human emotion to create attention to the fact that trees are being cut down every day and animals are being killed every day and even the smallest organisms are tossed aside to be made out to be unimportant, but this poem is confronting that idea and saying that it is a sad thing when a tree is cut down or that an animal is slaughtered. I just love how Moss slips under the reader and personifies this tree and gives it human emotion before the reader can detect it and make a biased notion or judgement about their beliefs on the subject. The more and more I read into this poem, I start to love it more and more. This could all possibly be absolutely none of the poet's intentions, but I don't care. I find that my perception of what the poet wrote makes me happier and happier the more I think about it because of my interest in the environment. If I beat it with a hose, then so be it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting comparison to an obituary. Lots of personification. Good.

    ReplyDelete