Sunday, October 17, 2010

On Reading Poems to a Senior Class At South High

Well writing this a second time kind of ticks me off. Apparently I  was never connected to the internet, so I didn't have backup. So anyway, I'm not so happy about blogging this again. I loved this poem when I read it. I think it is talking about a high school teacher who is trying to fill his ideas and thoughts from his poems into the heads of stagnant high school kids. He uses frozen fish to capture the initial mood and  temperament of the adolescent mind. And then he starts reading his poem and he intoxicates the room with interesting thoughts and conjectures, jumping from head to head, and the fills with water, coming to life. But as soon as the teacher has his grasp on the students' imaginations and minds, the bell rings and the door lets out all of the water and life from the classroom. I think the poem is making an analogy to the water being the thoughts and creativity and conjectures that are brewing in minds and it is all starting to flow from the poem being recited to the students, bringing them to life. But by the end of the day, the teacher has gone home in his own world as a fish, and ironically, is woken up by his pet cat Queen Elizabeth by a lick to the hand. The reason I love this poem is, it reminds me of Mr. Moore from last year, when he was almost some form of mad or crazy, as he always had some sly "plan" to keep us thinking and keep his students around his finger, thinking about the thoughts he projected to us. To me, I feel Mr. Moore's personality through this poem and I really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Charlie! I love, love, love your comparison to Mr. Moore. I think he'd like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete