Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Explosion

This poem is composed of eight tercets followed by the concluding line being singular. There seems to be no apparent rhyme scheme. The sixth stanza is written in italics, assuming importance or a quotation. So in the beginning, this poem makes me think of a bunch of men hiking down a mine, because it refers to the word "pit" twice, and miners oftentimes use explosive dynamite to mine. As the poem went on, it confused me and I retracted the idea of them being in a mine. The eggs seem very symbolic somehow, as they are found in the third stanza and are again brought up in the last stanza of the poem. Maybe the explosion happening and this giant tragedy happing in the middle of what they're doing is symbolic for what we do today. Example: we heard about the earthquake and nuclear disaster and tidal wave in Japan, but we gave a quick shocking thought to such a humongous event, and then turned around and started back at our routines. I think the fact that the men go back to their interest in the egg after the explosion was specified to possibly killing a lot of people shows how caught up they are in themselves and their own lives--just how we are in ours. Few amounts of people dropped everything they had--jobs, families, lives--and went to Japan and just started volunteering to help. We just got right back onto our routine 5-9 jobs and let someone else handle it. I believe this is definitely one way that this poem can be interpreted, but it could also be seen way diffferently with a different frame of mind.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of the symbolism and I think you can see it both as literal and symbolic--though I believe it actually happened. This is good. I can see your thought process as you work it out.

    ReplyDelete