Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Golf Links

Seeing as I have no knowledge or interest in golf, I chose this as the poem to analyze. This poem is only for lines long, but there are 2 indentations that break the poem into two couplets. The 2nd and 4th lines rhyme but the first and third don not. Maybe this is just to parallel the four lines into two couplets again using this tactic. I get a very strong visual from this short poem. This poem gives a giant contrast in perspective just as good as any other. The first line starts the reader out right in front the tee on the fresh green, and then like that, the poet changes the perspective in a 180, to the poor children watching the rich men playing golf. Poor is implied here through the word "laboring." I think this is a wonderful display if the conflict of class in today's society--the long-treaded war between the white and blue collars. Come to think of it, this poem has nothing to do with golf and I'm glad I picked it. It's sort of ironic, too, that the golf links are near the mill--that the golfers probably manage or own. This poem does not have a complete message, but is simply just an argument. I really love tis poem!

1 comment:

  1. I think you've got it! The juxtaposition is what strikes you when you read it. Good!

    ReplyDelete