Monday, January 17, 2011

Alone

I think this Edgar Allan Poe-m (haha) is quite interesting the way it is structured. It seems like he uses the dashes to signify the actual story-line of his poem and give the rhythm to which the reader should read it, but then his rhyme scheme is based on the structure of the lines. Poe uses an AA BB CC (etc.) type rhyme scheme here at the end of each line. He uses the dashes, instead of the line structure, to break up his lines. I just find this way of structure very clever and creative. I do like what he even has to say in his poem too. The ending seems very profound with the line "Of a demon in my view--." Although, I'm still trying to connect the dots with this. I guess I grasp the fact that he is very much an outcast in this world that he describes himself living in, but then I get thrown off at Then--... unless Poe is saying that throughout life, he has been followed by a demon and a cloud overhead that sets him different from everyone else. That makes him the puzzle piece that doesn't fit.  OR his being an outcast throughout life have caused him to create his own demons that block him from the normal world and keep him isolated and alone. I remain inconclusive, but I will be discussing this soon with Luke to construct our presentation.

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts on this poe-m. :) You seem to have really looked at it. Good!

    ReplyDelete