Sunday, January 30, 2011

Personal Helicon

I find this poem rather intriguing due to the fact that it starts off seeming like a memoir of different wells and what they behold in a sort of nostalgic manner. The moment I realized that there was the possibility of symbolism was toward the end of the poem. The initial thought I gained from the first reading of this poem was that it related to people. Between the shallow wells signifying Narcissism; and the deep wells, no reflection of water (meaning to me--deep, not shallow), the poem started to create it's message to me of its theme. I found it interesting how the author left the hint of symbolism towards the end, maybe to make the point more profound that it is not a dandy poem about wells. The rhyme scheme is ABAC DEDF, so on.... The rhyme scheme is kind of interesting but very confusing. The stanzas are in quartets, so the poem is somewhat of a standard structure. I'm trying to do something with the structure, but it's not really working out yet, but I'll find my touch. Everything aside, I did find this to be an interesting poem.

2 comments:

  1. Commenting... I liked how you analyzed the poems structure as well as it's meaning. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your suggestion that the poem starts out as a memoir. I think that's an interesting idea. Good thorough look at this one.

    ReplyDelete