Sunday, January 9, 2011

Untitled

     I am really fascinated by this poem by Stephen Crane. First off, this poem just makes me think of Jim Morrison of the band The Doors and his LSD pilgrimage to the desert. The image of the man in the poem comes to me as a looney Jim Morrison. Anyway, I do also like the fact that this poem is somewhat simple and more to the point than a typically longer, more detailed poem (likewise).
    I do think this poem is symbolic in some way of something more than a homeless-looking crazy man in the desert eating his own heart from his hand. Is this symbolism for someone selling their soul away? Is it some depiction of self destruction or nihilism? Why does the man like the bitter taste and more the fact that he is eating his own heart?
     I think this has to do with the way people feel from pity. People like to be self hating for the seek of others' attention. People like attention. The best way to call it is by self destruction. It seems here that he is eating his own heart in a desert because he feels so alone in the desert of society and the world but he is morbidly craving the attention of someone by eating his own heart out, just as one may cut their wrist or a similar case.
     I think that this poem is open to several interpretations, though, but I guess this became most relevant to my mind. I really like this poem.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting connection to The Doors. I hadn't thought of that, but I can see your point. I also like your connection to pity. Pity is a curious feeling because I'm not sure it makes anybody feel better--neither the one who is pitied nor the one who is pitying.

    ReplyDelete