Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Guitarist Tunes Up

I really like this poem because I can relate to it in the fact that I play the guitar, but I think anyone who plays an instrument or composes some types of music can relate to this. I think Cornford is talking about the art of music, or in this case, the guitar. He is saying that is not something to be conquered, but is something that is to be  relished as a beautiful thing--in this case he uses the analogy of comparing the guitar to a woman. It seems like he compares the playing of the guitar to making love with a woman, that it is a beautiful thing derived from pure and intense emotion, not being able to have power over the guitar...or woman. The poem had an AABBCCDD rhyme scheme, which I think the poet used to make it lyrical, as a song might be. It also gives the poem better rhythm. There is only one stanza, but the rhyme scheme made the lines pop out like couplets, which gave a lot of organization to Cornford's ideas throughout the poem. I really enjoyed reading this poem because of the way I was able to relate to it, but now I should be off to Calc Camp!

2 comments:

  1. Off to calc camp! Thanks for remembering! :D Nice observations and analysis, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you noticed Cornford styled his poem to be lyrical and musical. Also I hope the poems on the AP test are like this one because it gives lots of students the chance to be passionate and connect with it. When the poem is easier to connect to, it's easier to write about. I love how your passion about music is able to show in your response.

    ReplyDelete