Sunday, March 13, 2011

The trees in the garden...

I really enjoyed this poem a lot, mostly because I tie it to political meaning. This poem reminds me of the constant struggle between the left and right, and Social Darwinism. The poem talks about how a tree blossoms flowers and the most skilled and opportune children are able to grab them and bundle them. Chance flowers then blossom for the rest and the skilled children find it unfair, but the father let the protesting child know that it was perfectly fair, and questions the child's own integrity. This could also be seen in a religious light, in terms of those who have found God and followed him from early on, but the others who find God later also get into Heaven, and the early followers claim it is unfair. The voice of the father may be God himself. I guess the fact of the matter is that this poem may be seen from different social perspective. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme scheme to this poem. Although, Crane does use a lot of dialogue towards the latter half of the poem, and I think this is to show the interaction of the child and the father more vividly, and be able to show the reader the lesson the boy was learning without having to come out and say it. I think that there isn't really a designated stanza structure because of the flow of the actual poem, so it reads like actual lines of a story or script. The message, more than the structure, fascinated me with this poem and I really enjoyed reading it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice look at this one, Jeff. I think that's an interesting take on the political meaning.

    ReplyDelete