Sunday, March 6, 2011

It was a dream

I don't know if this poem was supposed to be funny in a weird sort of way, but to me it was, or at least the picture i got in my mind. Structurally, this poem does not have a rhyme scheme nor does it have a certain defined stanza differentiation. This poem does not use capitalization until the end to mark the words of the crazed "greater self" in the dream. Also, the word "what" seems to be highlighted in the seventh line of the stanza; in my opinion, to shift ideas. I think Clifton does not capitalize to represent herself and what she has not accomplished--the whole reason her greater self seems to appear in her dream to resurrect from her. I think it just displays the mediocrity of herself, but then the words of her greater self are capitalized. But also, the poem uses a lot of imagery through this "greater self" who i imagine looking like a witch with fiery eyes and crazy hair, and by saying "This.This.This." she was pointing to herself and telling the lesser self to be a little bit crazy sometimes; get out of your shell a little bit. I really didn't like this poem upon the first time reading, but now that I have found humor and meaning in it, I found it very interesting and am now quite fond of it.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't thought of it as humorous, but now that you point it out--I think it could be. I can see her talking to herself about something happening and saying the "this, this, this" almost sarcastically. Hmmmm. Maybe!

    ReplyDelete